Sometimes, I go through the freezer and find a package of this and a package of that and it all sounds like it might go together in some sort of fashion. Sometimes it’s about trying to make something tasty, and sometimes it’s about not having to go to the store for dinner. Eating-down the pantry is an art. What good is storing food if you never eat it? Srsly.
This current concoction of soup, an actual vat of chickeny goodness – will last me until Christmas. And it’s pretty tasty.
Here’s news: I hate canned soup. Oh sure, it’s really handy and easy to obtain at the store, also good for emergency situations (hello? Hurricanes?) … but I really hate canned soup. I used to *LOVE* (repeat love) a can of BeanofBacon soup from Campbell’s … but checking the list of Campbell’s gluten free products here, shows me that there are no BeanofBacon lunches in my immediate future. In fact, there are no soups on that list at all…. READ the labels on each can before you buy anything from Campbell’s. Not worth the disaster of being fed silent gluten because “soup should be safe”. Leave no stone unturned when detecting safe food. It’s worth the extra half of a minute to read lables.
There is a list of other companies and their GF soup lists here in case you do want to look for some hints about what canned soup options that are safe to eat.
Here’s what I cobbled together today from the freezer, it’s real delicious.
Freezer Chicken Soup
- 1/2 a bag of frozen Broccoli -*the other 1/2 I left in the freezer for later.
- 1/2 a can of corn -* left the other 1/2 with the broccoli in the freezer for more soup, later
- 1/2 a bag of frozen peas -*again, left the other 1/2 for later
- 1/2 C cooked rice (that I found in the freezer)
- 2 C cooked beans mix: dark red, light red, cranberry beans, navy, pinto, and lentils (left over from the beans I cooked this week for a pot of chili)
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 carrots -peeled and chopped
- 1 package of chicken tenders, cubed and baked
- 1 package of spicy chicken sausage- sliced
- white pepper
- poultry seasoning
- 6 cups of hot water
- 2 vegetable soup boullion cubes
- 1 box of chicken stock
- handful of fresh cilantro- chopped
It’s real tasty.