Pancakes for supper. Appetizers, lunch, whatever. Serve with sweet chili sauce to dip them in. Ketchup works, so does ranch dressing. I would bet that hummus or salsa would be fab as well, but I haven’t tried that yet.
- 1/4 C potato starch
- 1/4 rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C water
- 2 eggs (ground flax meal +HOT water)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 C veggies (I used minced green beans, shredded zucchini, minced cabbage, minced onion)
Mix batter, add veggies, pour into pan, cook them up like pancakes.
We liked them in any sort of dip we could think of. They will be in our bento boxes this summer for sure.
Making gluten-free fried chicken isn’t any harder than making it with wheat flour. Really.
I also make mine egg free, so here’s how to do that.
- Cut chicken into pieces. (I make mine “nugget” sized. And I use the boneless and skinless thighs in handy 1 pound packets that I find at Costco.)
- Rinse chicken, drain.
- Combine two eggs with 1/2 C water, 1/2 tsp salt (I used flax eggs)
- Mix 1 cup gf flour mix (1/2 potato starch, 1/2 brown rice flour) , 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp white pepper, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum and 1/2 tsp soda
- dip chicken in egg mixture and then the flour mixture and then place in frying pan.
- cook until golden and crispy.
- Place fried chicken pieces in a 9 x 13 baking pan, lined with paper towels, for 20 minutes to finish cooking the chicken and to crisp it up.
We served ours with raspberry jam biscuits, green beans and peaches. Yum.
The leftovers will go nicely into a bento box lunch tomorrow. Hooray!
My life may have just been saved by cute food. Seriously… who doesn’t want to eat cute food?
While my attempts this week have not achieved the actual level of “cute bento”, they are bento and little food is cute no matter how you look at it.
“cute bento” includes those boxes made with cute characters and faces and flowers and lots of amazing options. I’ll just start by building some basic bento and go from there.
I found little cheeses at Costco. The baby carrots were easy. The rice noodles and red sauce I eat four days a week… so that now it’s in a small container makes it cute. And eating it all with chopsticks just makes it more fun. Maybe .. Maybe .. finally I will get to the point I need to be with my new found cute food in a box.
Posted in dinner