… or dessert really. Whichever. We eat it all day long. It’s creamy, and berry-ey and so amazingly delicious that you forget it might actually have any calories. And you would NOT know it was gluten free, unless you asked or knew ahead of time. It’s also EGG-free, dairy/casein-free and soy-free. And it was good with maple syrup dripped on top.
It was mentioned this morning at breakfast that a scoop of coconut ice cream (dairy free/soy free) would be good to go with this. I had to draw the line at ice cream for breakfast. Sadly. There have to be SOME sort of boundaries around here…. come on!
Oh alright… maybe next time we’ll add the scoop of ice cream. sheesh.
- 8 slices of gluten free bread- cubed (or 4 flax buns, sliced and cubed)
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup of frozen berry medley (which means it was blueberries, blackberries and raspberries all mixed up in a bag- so handy like that)
- 1 C coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 package of baby food pears. (or 3 T pear puree) = 1 egg
- 2 T golden flax meal + 4 T HOT water = flax egg mixture = 2 eggs
- 2 tsp safflower oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Layer half the bread cubes in a 9 x 7 pan, add the berries, then the rest of the bread.
Mix together the flax “egg” and then add the rest of the ingredients together in a blender and pour on top of bread cubes and berries. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Serve warm.