The concept of sausage and cheese and onions “IN” a bun haunts me. I once went to a restaurant where all they served was “stufffed sandwiches” and salads. It was great. Super delicious, but then I wasn’t worried about gluten or cross contamination either.
Fast forward to me not having any fun food, or party food to eat due to extreme allergies.. and we end up with a level of quirky, creative desperation. Here’s today’s edition of quirky lunch. Wow! they were good.
Roly-Poly Lunch Rolls
- Brown sausage with chopped onion.
- Make one recipe of the wonder dough. Roll it out into a rectangle. Use a little potato starch to keep it from sticking to everything too much. I rolled mine out on parchment paper sprinkled with potato starch.
- Spread the cooled sausage and onion mixture.
- Sprinkle it with shredded mozzerella cheese. Add a sprinkle of parmesan if you feel like it.
- Roll up the dough, carefully including the filling.
Make 1 – 2 inch slices and place them, cut side up (like cinnamon rolls) in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan.
Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. Let them cool. Serve with a big green salad.
One is missing, because I ate it before I remembered the camera. LOL. It was realllllllly good.
Other filling ideas:
- Boar’s head pepperoni, with pasta sauce + shredded cheese = rolled up pizza fun
- Cubed ham and shredded cheese.
- Cubed SPAM and shredded cheese
- shredded chicken and cheese